Modern High School for Girls, committed to developing creative and independent individuals, was founded by Mrs. B.M. Birla on January 3 1952. The School was set up at 28, Camac Street initially with Mrs. Violet Clarke as the first Principal. In 1953, the senior school moved to a new location 33, Theatre Road (now Shakespeare Sarani), Calcutta (now Kolkata). The junior school remained at the same location.