Loreto Bowbazar was established in 1844 on the 8th of December. It was known as St. Francis Xavier Convent. It was originally a small private school owned by Mr. & Mrs. Cooper. There were boarders from the middle income group, who paid their fees. A Free school was also running parallel to the paid school. There were both boys and girls.